top of page

Bridging the Distance: Your Path to Reunite with Your Family in Canada as an International Worker

Updated: Jun 25

Family Matters: The Immigration Journey for International Workers and Their Loved Ones

How International Workers Can Bring Their Family to Canada

When planning a move to Canada, it's natural to have questions about the immigration process for your family members. In this article, we'll address common concerns about bringing your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children with you to Canada as the accompanying family members of a temporary foreign worker or a Canadian work permit holder.

A Guide to Traveling Outside Canada as an International Student

Temporary Stay in Canada

If you plan to visit Canada for a short period, your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children can join you or visit you in the country, as long as they meet the necessary requirements for temporary residents, have no criminal record, and adhere to the conditions for obtaining a temporary resident visa (if required).

Employment Opportunities for Accompanying Spouses and Common-Law Partners

In most cases, your spouse or common-law partner can work in Canada, but they typically need a work permit. They must apply for their own work permit, either an open work permit or one for a specific employer.

Study Permit for Dependent Children

Your dependent children need to apply for their own study permits if they wish to study in Canada. Minor children already in Canada may study without a permit if they meet certain criteria. Study permit for primary school students are valid for one year and can be renewed, while those for secondary school students can be issued for up to four years.

Individual Applications and Required Documents for Family Members

Each family member must fill out and sign a separate application form, with parents or guardians signing on behalf of applicants under 18 years of age. You may need to provide a marriage certificate and birth certificates for your family members. If you have a common-law partner, you may need to complete the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union form and submit the required supporting documents.

Validity of Open Work Permits for Accompanying Spouses of Working or Studying Individuals

Typically, your work permit remains valid for the same duration as your spouse's or common-law partner's work or study permit. Even if their situation changes, your work permit remains valid for the entire period.

In summary, it is possible to bring your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children to Canada under specific conditions. Familiarizing yourself with the requirements and procedures will help ensure a smoother and more successful transition to life in Canada.

At Immigrative, At Immigrative, we understand the importance of family during relocation and are committed to assisting with the immigration process for your accompanying spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children when moving to Canada. Our team provides guidance through each step of the process, ensuring compliance with government regulations. Whether you're planning a short-term visit or seeking permanent residency in Canada, we can help you and your family navigate the complexities of the Canadian immigration system. Contact us today to learn how we can streamline the process for a successful transition to life in Canada.

bottom of page