top of page
  • Writer's pictureHossein Alavi, RCIC

Changing Your Study Program or School in Canada: A Guide for International Students

Updated: Apr 10

Understanding the Process of Changing Your Study Program or School in Canada as an International Student

Overview of changing your school or study program and the study permit process

Changing schools or study programs can be a common occurrence for international students in Canada. It’s important to know that you don’t need to change your study permit when making these changes.

However, there are a few steps you need to follow to ensure your study permit is still valid.

High School Students

If you’re a high school student and want to work while you study, you’ll need to apply to change the conditions of your study permit. This involves applying for a new study permit from within Canada and paying a fee.

Post-secondary Students:

If you’re a post-secondary student, you don’t need to change your study permit, but you do need to inform the government when you change schools. You can do this by filling out an online form to update your information.

Quebec Schools

If you’re moving to a school in Quebec, you’ll need to obtain an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). This is necessary for any level of school, including primary. Again, you don’t need to change your study permit, but you need to inform the government of your change in schools.

Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs)

Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) are schools and educational institutions that have been authorized by the Canadian government to accept international students. As an international student, it's important to ensure that the school you plan to attend is a DLI, as this is a requirement for obtaining a study permit.

When changing your school or study program, it's crucial to verify that your new institution is also a DLI. Otherwise, you may encounter difficulties with your study permit or even risk losing your eligibility to study in Canada.

To check if a school is a DLI, you can use the Government of Canada's official DLI search tool. This tool will provide you with a list of all DLIs in Canada and their corresponding DLI number. You can also check with the institution directly to confirm their DLI status.

By ensuring that your new school is a DLI and following the correct procedures for changing your study program or school, you can avoid any issues with your study permit and enjoy a smooth transition to your new educational institution.

In summary, as an international student in Canada, you can change your school or study program without necessarily changing your study permit. However, the steps you need to follow depend on your situation, including whether you're a high school or post-secondary student, moving to a school in Quebec, or maintaining eligibility criteria for your study permit. Additionally, it's important to ensure that your new school is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and that you inform the Canadian government of any changes to your post-secondary school. If you need assistance with changing your school or study program, Immigrative's experienced immigration professionals can guide you through the process.

At Immigrative, If you're considering changing your school or study program, you may also have questions about your study permit and how it may be affected. The immigration process can be complicated, and it's essential to ensure that you have all the necessary documentation and follow the proper steps. At Immigrative, our experienced immigration professionals can help guide you through the process of changing your study permit and provide assistance with any related immigration matters. We can help you understand your options, complete the necessary forms, and ensure that you have everything you need to make a successful application. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you with your immigration needs.


This blog post is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. For personalized advice regarding your specific immigration situation, it is recommended to consult with an authorized immigration professional.

About the Author:

This blog post is authored by Hossein Alavi, RCIC, a seasoned Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and the founder and CEO of Immigrative Visa Services Inc. and EduPal Canada. With over ten years of experience in the education and immigration sectors, he is dedicated to assisting individuals and companies with their Canadian immigration needs. Contact Immigrative Visa Services Inc. today to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward realizing your Canadian dream.


Join the Club

Subscribe to our club for exclusive insights and updates on navigating your immigration journey.

Thanks for submitting!

Our Clients Say

(Translated by Google) It is a super serious and recommended agency, thanks to them in August we will arrive in Canada
Daniel Sarmiento
(Translated by Google) I want to share my experience from the beginning, they were always very attentive with the messages, calls in the process, a very good quality, the professionalism is noticeable, thanks to this, today I am very happy since I will be able to meet my mother, what an excellent service, highly recommended.
Andres Moreno
bottom of page