top of page

Travelling as a Foreign Student in Canada: Understanding the Travel Documents You Need

Returning Home or Leaving Canada as an International Student: What You Need to Know about Traveling.

A Guide to Traveling Outside Canada as an International Student

As a foreign student studying in Canada, you may have the desire or need to return home or travel outside the country during your studies. While it is possible to travel, it is important to note that your study permit is not a travel document and does not give you the right to enter or travel to Canada.

A Guide to Traveling Outside Canada as an International Student

Depending on where you are from, you may need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. It is important to make sure you have the correct travel document before making any travel plans. Keep in mind that having the appropriate travel document does not guarantee you will be allowed back into Canada. You will still need to meet all the requirements and show the border services officer that you are eligible to re-enter the country.

Meeting Entry Requirements When Returning to Canada

If you need a visitor visa to enter Canada, it is important to ensure that your visa will still be valid when you return. If it will expire before your planned return, you must apply to extend it before leaving Canada.

Visitor Visa Validity When Returning to Canada

It is also important to note that leaving Canada during your studies may impact your eligibility for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). To be eligible for a PGWP, you must meet certain requirements, including completing a full-time program at a designated learning institution in Canada. If you leave the country during your studies and do not meet these requirements, you may not be eligible for a PGWP.

Tips for Travelling as an International Students

In addition to these considerations, it is important to consult with your designated learning institution (DLI) and your immigration consultant or lawyer before making any travel plans. Your DLI may have specific requirements or procedures you must follow when travelling outside of Canada, such as obtaining a letter of permission or informing the institution of your travel plans.

In summary, while it is possible to travel outside of Canada during your studies, it is important to understand the requirements and potential impacts on your study permit and post-graduation work permit eligibility. By taking the appropriate steps and consulting with the necessary parties, you can ensure a smooth and successful travel experience while studying in Canada.

At Immigrative, we understand the challenges that international students face when studying in Canada. That's why we're committed to providing the guidance and support you need to make your study experience as smooth and successful as possible. Our team of experienced immigration professionals can assist you with all aspects of your study permit, including extensions, changes, and travel. We can also provide you with advice on your options for permanent residence and help you navigate the complex immigration process. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you achieve your goals in Canada.

1 view
bottom of page