top of page
  • Writer's pictureHossein Alavi, RCIC

Leaving Canada with an Extended Study Permit: What International Students Need to Know

Updated: Apr 10

Navigating Travel as an International Student with an Extended Study Permit in Canada

Travelling as a Foreign Student with an Extended Study Permit: What to Know

As an international student with a study permit in Canada, you may want or need to travel outside of the country while your study permit extension application is being processed. The good news is that, in most cases, you can leave Canada and return as long as your visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid.

A Guide to Traveling Outside Canada as an International Student

In this post, we'll go over what you need to know to travel outside of Canada while your study permit extension application is being processed.

Exception for Re-entering Canada with an Expired Visitor Visa

There's only one exception to the rule mentioned above. You may be able to re-enter Canada with an expired visitor visa (not an expired eTA) if you only visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon and return to Canada before your study permit expires. However, if your visitor visa or eTA is expired, you must apply for and receive a new one before you leave.

What Happens When You Return to Canada

If your study permit is still valid or has been extended while you were away, you may be allowed to enter Canada as a student. However, if your study permit extension application is still being processed, you may be allowed to enter as a visitor, but you won't be able to study until you receive your extended study permit. At the port of entry, the border officer may ask you to prove that you have enough money to support yourself while in Canada.

Questions You May Face at the Port of Entry

When you arrive back in Canada, a border officer may ask you a few questions. If the officer has any reason to believe that you shouldn't be allowed to re-enter Canada, you won't be permitted to do so. Therefore, the officer may ask for a copy of your extension application, fee payment receipt, or any other document to prove that you've applied for an extension.

Applying for a New Study Permit

If you're from the United States, Greenland, or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you can re-apply for a new study permit and pay the fees at the port of entry. This way, you can get your study permit faster. Once you're in Canada, you must withdraw your previous application to extend your study permit. You can use the web form provided by the Government of Canada to withdraw your application.

In summary, travelling outside of Canada as an international student with a study permit extension application requires careful planning and preparation. Ensure that your visitor visa or eTA is valid and that you have all the required documents, such as proof of financial support and extension application copies, before leaving Canada. Additionally, be prepared to answer questions from border officers when you re-enter Canada, as they have the final say on whether or not you're permitted to return.

At Immigrative, we understand that the process of studying and travelling as a foreign student can be overwhelming, especially when it comes to navigating the Canadian immigration system. Our team of experienced immigration professionals is here to help guide you through the process of extending your study permit and ensure that you have all the necessary documentation to travel outside of Canada and return. We can also assist you with any questions or concerns you may have about your immigration status or your rights as a student in Canada. Our goal is to make your experience studying in Canada as smooth and stress-free as possible. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you.


This blog post is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. For personalized advice regarding your specific immigration situation, it is recommended to consult with an authorized immigration professional.

About the Author:

This blog post is authored by Hossein Alavi, RCIC, a seasoned Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and the founder and CEO of Immigrative Visa Services Inc. and EduPal Canada. With over ten years of experience in the education and immigration sectors, he is dedicated to assisting individuals and companies with their Canadian immigration needs. Contact Immigrative Visa Services Inc. today to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward realizing your Canadian dream.


Join the Club

Subscribe to our club for exclusive insights and updates on navigating your immigration journey.

Thanks for submitting!

Our Clients Say

(Translated by Google) It is a super serious and recommended agency, thanks to them in August we will arrive in Canada
Daniel Sarmiento
(Translated by Google) I want to share my experience from the beginning, they were always very attentive with the messages, calls in the process, a very good quality, the professionalism is noticeable, thanks to this, today I am very happy since I will be able to meet my mother, what an excellent service, highly recommended.
Andres Moreno
bottom of page